‘Priscilla’ stirs up controversy after coming to theaters

Cooper Slocum

The movie “Priscilla,” directed by Sofia Coppola, came to movie theaters across the United States on November 3. The film follows Priscilla as she navigates her complicated relationship with Elvis Presley. Priscilla is a producer and it is based on her memoir “Elvis and Me.”  According to Collider.com, the movie has grossed over $12 million so far. 

Although the movie has only been on the big screen for a couple of weeks, it has already started a controversy between Elvis fans. Several people are leaving negative comments on reviews and are spreading hate on social media. A lot of people think that this movie shouldn’t have been produced because Elvis is no longer alive to tell his side of the story. In addition, people are mad that Elvis is being painted this way after the movie “Elvis” came to theaters in 2022, which was a movie that showed his legacy. 

Some comments left on Priscilla’s Instagram page:

“Here we go again, Priscilla’s side of the story! Making Elvis the big bad wolf!”

“Not watching this!”

“Guess what?! This has come out after EVERYBODY is dead and can’t defend themselves. Brutally to try to make money off of things you never were a part of!”

“I’m worried about Elvis’s reputation in this. I mean the Elvis movie last year brought new fans. Imagine those fans’ reactions if things go south.”