• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Dream movie night with ‘Dream Scenario’

Dream movie night with Dream Scenario

(Disclaimer: “Dream Scenario” is rated R for language, violence, and sexual content and should only be viewed with parental permission for those under the age of 17)

Warning: This review contains a few spoilers for the film “Dream Scenario”

I recently watched the movie “Dream Scenario” and would like to review it. “Dream Scenario” is a movie about an average, middle-aged college teacher named Paul Matthews played by Nicolas Cage. Paul has two daughters (Hannah and Sophie) played by Jessica Clement and Lily Bird, and a wife named Janet played by Julianne Nicholson. Paul shows up in his daughter’s dreams. He also has heard from an old girlfriend of his that he has showed up in her dreams recently. Paul goes to a coffee shop and is recognized by the cashier, but they don’t know where from. Paul brushes off these weird occurrences and continues with his day. Later that day Paul receives a phone call from an old friend, and they say Paul has been appearing in her dreams. The next morning he checks his email and he sees that he has received over 1000 messages of people saying they recognize him in their dreams.

This gives Paul an interview with a big news network and he later becomes famous and marks his name with a big company in an interview with three of the company’s employees. Molly is played by Dylan Gelula; Trent who is played by Michael Cera; Mary played by Kate Berlant. Paul quickly learns that with fame comes terrible things for him. Instead of not doing anything, he starts scaring people away by killing them in their dreams. By the time he publicly apologizes, it is too late to regain his old life back.

Now for the good and the bad of the movie. The acting was great. Nicolas Cage played the role of an average, somewhat awkward college teacher perfectly and I couldn’t think of anyone better for that role. Julianne Nicholson also plays Janet well. Janet was a weird character because she faded out of the story more and more before coming back in it for the ending. Other than that she was great. Paul’s two daughters were both not in the story too much but the younger of the two, Sophie, was in it more. Lily Bird played her and she was good. The other daughter wasn’t in the story very much I think because she was more in the role of a 15-17-year-old girl who thinks her parents are annoying and cringe. The soundtrack was amazing. They were mostly older songs with a little bit of modern songs, but they all were perfect for the scenes they were in.

My final verdict for the movie is that it is boring in parts, but overall, it is a great movie for a movie night. The group of people that I would recommend this movie for is around 15-16 and beyond. Research beforehand because you may have to skip past a scene or two. The rating is R, so it does have some bad themes in it, but overall it is not bad enough where a 15 year old can’t watch. Overall, though, I loved this film. It is a great movie to watch with family or friends. You will laugh, be confused, and maybe get emotional throughout the film. If I had to give this film a score from 1-5, I would give this a 4.5/5 stars because there are still things that they can improve on with this film, but if you get into the movie, it is a great watch.