‘Barbie’ brightens the world

On July 21, 2023, the world turned pink. We were introduced to the bright utopia of Barbie Land. Here, all the Barbies wake up in a perfect plastic paradise, floating down from each of their dream houses to pursue one of the many careers a Barbie has. The main focus is on one character in particular, Barbie, or more specifically “Stereotypical Barbie.” She lives a fun life of beaches and hosting dance parties. One night after performing a synchronized dance sequence, Barbie makes the controversial statement “Do you guys ever think about dying.” This caused a brief pause in Barbie Land, until Barbie took back the grim thought and everyone resumed dancing. The next morning, Barbie woke up in a not so perfect world, with bedhead, burnt toast, cold shower water, and worst of all, flat feet. When she discovered this odd mutation Barbie visited Weird Barbie, a doll with chopped hair, mismatched clothes, and a scribbled face. Weird Barbie advised she must go to the real world to find what human is causing these outside world thoughts. 

This “Barbie” review will contain spoilers for the movie so if you have yet to see it and want to enjoy it without spoilers, turn away now. 

Marketing was one of the biggest things that stood out for “Barbie” leading up to and after its release. More than 100 partnerships were created. Things like toothbrushes, Crocs, glassware, burgers, ice cream, clothing, roller skates, costumes, hairbrushes, backpacks, and several other items. Not to mention the lead actress, Margot Robbie, dressing up in looks inspired by the iconic character for paparazzi to photograph. Seeing Robbie fully embrace the character makes it more exciting to see because it brings it to life in a sense. Marketing for this movie was thoroughly impressive and truly made it an experience for the world. 

Casting for the movie was something that the internet was feuding about. Almost everyone agreed that Robbie was a perfect pick for the iconic doll. When it came to her accessory Ken, that was a different story. Gosling was announced to play the character of Ken and people complained saying he was too old and didn’t fit. He was always the clear answer though, and it’s good to see that he delivered with his take on the role and proved everyone wrong. Thank goodness for the viral video of him dancing.

The set design for “Barbie” was no joke. Instantly you see the vibrancy and creativity that was put into Barbie Land. The classic Malibu Dream House was used with no walls or stairs, just like how it would be in a real toy set. Making the Barbies still act like they were a toy was such a funny decision, like drinking pretend milk, or taking a bite of toast that isn’t actually edible. For the beach scene, the set was waves that weren’t moving and just stayed in place. The authenticity of how a Barbie doll would actually live is so satisfying to see because often movies won’t make adaptations that don’t accurately pinpoint the style of the character. One article from CNN states during an interview with production designer Sarah Greenwood, it was revealed there was a worldwide shortage of pink paint. 

“Barbie” has several songs that people are listening to on repeat. Some of those songs are “Pink” by Lizzo, “Barbie World” by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice, “Dance the Night” by Dua Lipa,  “Angel” by PinkPantheress, and “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling. The biggest song was “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Ellish. This is genuinely one of the most beautiful songs ever written for a movie. It’s great that this song is in the spotlight because of the way it represents how Barbie is feeling. She’s become aware that she’s lost and things are changing all around her. She’s not like how she used to be, feeling unattached from her own body. But no matter what, you can always work for a goal even if that day isn’t today. As cheesy as it sounds, that song was so in touch with what it’s like to be a woman and how we grow and learn.  The whole “Barbie” soundtrack really had its own unique quality. Movies rarely have more than even one song to represent their movie, so for there to be even five is notable for just how thought out it is. 

Another thing that “Barbie” executed amazingly was the costume design. There were three looks in particular that really stood out. The first one that we got to see was a pink gingham pattern dress, this was the first look we got to see Barbie in and it’s really simple but classic for Barbie. Another notable outfit we get to see is when Barbie and Ken are roller blading to the real world in flashy ’80s aerobics wear (you wouldn’t expect anything less). The most popular costume is probably when Barbie and Ken steal two western outfits. It’s nice to see that even in the real world Barbie managed to find something that perfectly showed who she is on the inside. 

One nitpicky pet peeve about the movie is when at the end, Barbie is now living in the real world, and she gets out of the car to reveal a normal outfit. It’s understandable what they were trying to get across here as she is now living as a human being, but it would have been fun to see her still in her color pink. Just because you’re living here doesn’t mean you can give up on giving looks. 

Many people were upset that “Barbie” was not like the childhood movies they watched growing up, and complained that Barbie Land is a horrible place because it was against men. It’s so interesting to see that argument because “Barbie” had real authentic meaning behind it. Barbie Land was inspired by how our society is dominated by men, and saying what if the “roles were reversed” just doesn’t make sense, because they already are. Sure “Barbie” might not have been initially what you expected, but exiting the theater you can leave knowing you’ve learned something. That it’s okay not to be an overachiever: you can be a mother with a job and a chaotic life. You can still be anything you want to be, even if it’s not extravagant. One quote that Barbie says is “I want to do the imagining, not be the idea.”

“Barbie” is now the largest opening weekend of the year and the biggest-ever debut for a female director. Greta Gerwig directed the highest grossing movie of 2023. There couldn’t be a record more fitting for this movie. Everything about “Barbie” was extravagant, well thought out, and original.

If you haven’t seen “Barbie” it is a 5/5 movie. You’ll laugh, maybe cry, and you just might learn something.