Top ten Batman villains

Top ten Batman villains

Emma Minnick, Editor

Batman was created in 1939 by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Since then, he has become one of the most popular and iconic superheroes of all time. His fame has extended to his supporting characters, like Dick Grayson, Commissioner Gordon, and Alfred Pennyworth. But most notable of the hero’s long run is his extensive rogues gallery. Here is my list of the top ten Batman villains.

10. The Riddler – The Riddler was first introduced in 1948, and quickly became popular among fans. He is a genius criminal who specializes in riddles and puzzles, terrorizing Gothamites with his elaborate crimes. He measures up well to Batman, possessing intense analytical skills.

9. Ra’s Al Ghul – Ra’s Al Ghul, introduced in 1971, is not the most iconic Batman villain, but his narrative importance is indisputable. Known as “The Demon”, he is a master at hand-to-hand combat, and is nearly invulnerable. His main goal is eradicating most of the human population, in order to prevent ecological devastation. Al Ghul has canonically beaten and outsmarted Batman more than once.

8. Penguin – Penguin, also known as Oswald Cobblepot, debuted in 1941. Born to a rich family, he was bullied and outcast for his birdlike appearance and short stature. This rejection led him to a life of crime, becoming one of Gotham’s most feared and notorious criminals. Equipped with an umbrella and an affinity for birds, he is a mastermind and a skilled combatant.

7. Scarecrow – In 1941, DC introduced the Scarecrow, a supervillain and former doctor armed with a fear toxin. His toxin can take the form of his victim’s worst fear. Although Scarecrow has not broken Batman physically, his fearful hallucinations have harmed the hero’s psyche more than once.

6. Harley Quinn – Despite being iconic, Harley Quinn is a fairly new character, introduced in 1992. A psychiatrist turned sidekick to the Joker, Quinn is a talented gymnast, armed with a poison immunity and a lack of inhibitions. In recent adaptations, Quinn has left the Joker and has become an antihero, even working with Batman on some occasions.

5. Mr. Freeze – Mr. Freeze was introduced in 1959, and is considered compelling by many due to his backstory. Victor Fries is a former scientist who became a supervillain to revive his dying wife, Nora. He is a match for Batman with his intellect and advanced technology.

4. Catwoman – Catwoman is an essential Batman villain created in 1940. Selina Kyle is a thief who is drawn to jewels and cat-themed treasures. Her strengths include stealth, speed, and wit. Kyle is a complex character due to her romance with both Batman and Bruce Wayne. She has been presented as a villain, antihero, and a hero.

3. Two-Face – Two-Face was introduced in 1942 when district attorney Harvey Dent was attacked with acid by mob boss Carmine Falcone. His split personality mirrors his split face, making him feared for his unpredictable nature. He has been known to hold his own against Batman.

2. Poison Ivy – Pamela Isley, known as Poison Ivy, was introduced to DC in 1966. A former botany student, she gained her abilities when her professor injected her with plant toxin. She gained poison immunity, mind control abilities, plant control, and most notably, a poisonous kiss. She is one of Batman’s most powerful foes and has gone toe to toe against him many times and can definitely hold her own.

1. The Joker – The Joker is undeniably the most iconic Batman villain. He first appeared in 1940 and has become synonymous with the Dark Knight ever since. His backstory is ever mysterious except for one common thread: his clown-like appearance from jumping into a vat of acid. The Joker is the most feared criminal in all of Gotham, known for his sadistic sense of humor. He is armed chemical weapons, genius intellect, and pure insanity. The Joker has never beaten Batman, but one could argue Batman has never beaten him either, as he refuses to kill him. The two have been a dynamic pair of adversaries for over over eighty years.