‘La La Land’ a stunning mix of color, music, and dance

I recently watched the 2016  musical “La La Land,” written and directed by Damien Chazelle. The movie, starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, won six Oscars. It is a romantic and energetic film about an aspiring actress and pianist in LA who is brought together by fate plenty of times. They struggle as they try to make their dreams a reality, all while trying to maintain their relationship.

Damien Chazelle did a great job with the cinematography. I found it interesting how he used color to indicate what is going on in the story. For example, in the movie it seems to indicate that Mia (Emma Stone) is the color blue and Sebastian Wilder (Ryan Gosling) is red. The color yellow seems to represent their dreams and aspirations. This is clearly represented during the bench scene. Mia is wearing a yellow dress and as they learn they might have feelings for one another they break out into a dance number and the background appears to be a purple and yellow sunset, indicating what is to come in the future.

Multi-talented Mandy Moore did a fantastic job choreographing for the movie, my favorite numbers being tap number “A Lovely Night” and ballroom dance, “Dancing in the Stars.” I was very surprised by the ending, but contrary to popular opinion, I don’t have an issue with it. The only issue the movie had was keeping me interested in the beginning/middle.

This is the perfect movie for those who like musicals and fun dance numbers. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in love and making their dreams come true. I might not recommend this to someone who doesn’t enjoy romance. The MPAA rating of “La La Land” is PG-13, which I would agree with.

Overall, it is a pretty great movie. If I were to rate it out of 1-5 of how much I like the movie it would be a 4/5.