“Gilmore Girls” is a classic worth revisiting

Jenna Martin, Reporter

The iconic series “Gilmore Girls” is a comedy-drama show that came out in the early 2000’s. Amy Sherman-Palladio created the show with the head writers Daniel Palladio and Jenji Kohan. The first episode launched on October 5, 2000.  Starring Alexis Blendel as Rory Gilmore, Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore, Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James, Keiko Agena as Lane Kim, Scott Patterson as Luke Danes, Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore,  Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore and many others. At the time when “Gilmore Girls” first came out, the show was streaming on three platforms: Up TV, The WB, and The CW. The show has seven seasons, all seasons including approximately 21 episodes. At the end of the production there was a total of 153 episodes filmed. You can now find the show on Netflix, Prime Video, VUDU,  Vudu Movie & TV Store, or Apple TV.

The show is about Lorelei and Rory Gilmore, and  the life they live in their small town known as Stars Hallow. It first starts when Rory (Alexis Bledel) is in her sophomore year of high school. Her mom, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) is 32 years old. They both face many challenges throughout the years. They face many real-life problems that people face in their daily lives, which is one of the many reasons I enjoyed the show as much as I did. Both girls go through many hardships, those including relationships, school or work, friendships, and problems within the family.  On top of that, they both take part in several events that take place in their town, those including the weekly town meetings, the 24-Hour Dance A-Thon, The Stars Hallow Movie Festival and several others.  Rory is an extremely bright individual, yet she is still a teenager who makes questionable decisions. Lorelai is a strong-minded independent woman who just wants her daughter to be happy. But she wants her to live a better life than she did. Lorelai went through many privations in her life which the show covers throughout season one.

Many people have many different opinions on the show. Yet, if you look the reviews up, you will find that the show has a 4.7/5 rating. The viewers claim that they “never get tired of watching this show over and over again,” or that “Gilmore Girls” is their ” all time favorite show!!!”

My personal opinion about the show is that it is very well-written, especially for the current generation. The story line is very strong and is able to keep the viewers hooked, so you really never know what to expect. I for one believe that the story line between Lorelai and her parents is extremely interesting, and I have greatly enjoyed watching it unfold. My thoughts have varied throughout the seasons as different events take place. But at the end of the day I would have to give the show a solid 4.5/5 because personally I have taken a liking to each of the characters individually, which helps the plot tremendously. I vigorously encourage anyone of the age 13-30 to watch it seeing how it seems to fit that variety well. The show is full of many different types of people, all with different personalities, and completely different lifestyles. And that is why I encourage you to start watching this show, as soon as you can.