A total solar eclipse is coming to town

A total solar eclipse is coming to town

On April 8, at about 3:16 p.m., the sky will darken. Some people may come in from across the country to see the once-in-a-lifetime events. The last time the Corry area experienced a total solar eclipse was about 150 years ago. In North America, the path of totality starts in Mexico and will make its way across the United States.

To view this phenomenon, you must not look without protection. Even though most of the sun is blocked out, what looks like flares are still visible at the edges. These can damage your eyes and cause solar retinopathy. The ways to view the solar eclipse are to either purchase solar eclipse glasses or to make your own viewing box out of a cereal box, aluminum foil, tape, and a pencil. If done correctly, you can see the shape of the sun inside the cereal box.

To tell when the solar eclipse is almost complete and about to reach total darkness, your shadow will start to sharpen. Instead of looking all gray and fuzzy, the shadows will become very dark and it is easy to see details. When the skies darken, stars will become visible and street lamps may turn on. Hills are a common place to view solar eclipses, as you can have an easier time seeing the sun without trees and buildings obstructing your view.

Corry is expected to get a little less than three minutes of total darkness, so be ready when the sky gets dark to witness a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.