• May 13Good luck on the Keystone Exams this week, Corry students!

Most anticipated movies of 2024

After an immense win for cinema lovers in 2023 with groundbreaking films that brought fresh ideas and thinking to the big screen, 2024 will hopefully bring the same energy to the theaters. Plastic dolls on a mission to prove a historical point, people fighting for their lives in a forced deathmatch, and an obsessive man licking a bathtub proved the substantial point that last year’s line up of strong, individually standing pieces will hold an expectation for the years to come. 

The order of movies will be chronological from which posters are soon to be plastered up on the walls of theaters.

“Lisa Frankenstein” features notable figures in Hollywood like Kathryn Newton (Lisa) who’s last biggest project was Netflix’s original series “The Society” and Cole Sprouse (The Creature) journey to discover how much killing may mean true love. This movie is set to release Feb. 9 and is written by Diablo Cody, the same person who wrote “Jennifer’s Body”.

One of my favorites coming up is “Bob Marley: One Love” that will hit theaters Feb. 14, which will open eyes to the crazy world of an iconic singer that we lost too early. This for sure will be a blockbuster hit.

March 1, viewers will be getting more of “Dune” with its second part that will give more story to this sci-fi epic.

Also in March, specifically the 29, “Ghostbusters” will be making a comeback with a new supernatural force that unleashes a new ice age upon New York City in “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.”

Not a lot of people have heard of “Mickey 17,” but it is a promising sci-fi movie starring Robert Pattinson as an astronaut sent to colonize an icy, faraway planet. The movie will explore the mental battle of keeping sane by holding onto memories during a solitary mission towards death. The release date has not been revealed as of this moment.

I keep seeing the trailer for A24’s “Civil War,” which as it is titled is literally about a modern realistic take on a divided nation. This movie’s opening night is on my calendar for April 26.

After “Anyone But You” there is this new wave of rom-com coming where the two protagonists’ plot centers around the enemies-to-lovers trope. I personally think this will get over done in the next few years, but they’re here to stay for now so go watch “The Fall Guy” on May 3.

When “Inside Out 2” promo was dropped, everyone was freaking out and for good reason. We all grew up with the iconic Pixar Movie and in perfect timing they are releasing a movie for the generation who grew up with “Inside Out.” It’s honestly genius to have now a more mature, post-puberty version of this movie when the original viewers have undergone or are going through the same things Riley will be dealing with on June 14.

The “Quiet Place” franchise is always releasing bangers, so when the new movie is set to release June 28 starting back at day one of the apocalypse, I will sure be in my seat waiting to watch.

A classic is coming back to the big screen: “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice” is releasing September 6, so grab a friend and go watch the return of the crazy green-haired demon.

“Joker” comes out October 4 with Lady Gaga and anything with Lady Gaga is beyond good.

Starting to wind down for the year, “Wicked” comes on November 27 with a stacked cast with Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande, and Jonathan Stuart Bailey.

Ending the year strong with “Mufasa: Lion King” on December 20, it’s like an early Christmas present. 

A very promising future is ahead for movie lovers. Be ready to buy your tickets and get your popcorn. Remember, if you can, watch these movies in theaters and not on streaming platforms. Last year was one of the first years coming out of COVID to bring back theater culture and we need to keep coming back in order to keep the movies alive.