• May 6Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 6There is No School for Students this Friday, May 10 due to a teacher In-Service Day

Rescue crews search for survivors after New Year’s earthquake

On January 1, 2024, a 7.6 magnitude earthquake shook Central Japan, collapsing countless homes and businesses, leaving many without a home and hundreds of people missing. About 120 people have been confirmed dead, with 200 others missing. This earthquake was documented as the strongest in that region in nearly four decades.

The magnitude of this earthquake caused the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) to issue a major tsunami warning, telling people to get as far off the water as possible. Waves of about one meter were triggered after the quake, which caused the JMA to issue the warning. They later downgraded the warning to an advisory.

Rescue workers and military personnel then spent the next few days on a critical search and rescue mission, trying to find as many survivors as possible. They were able to find a large number, but many remain lost.

The rescue crews have resorted to helicopters to take out survivors as well as deliver necessities to remote places. Wet conditions and cold temperatures have both hindered the search and made the survival rate drop. Especially with hypothermia with a possibility to kick in.

The race for remaining survivors is on, as well as monitoring quake signs and other elements.