Debatable buzzer-beater

Controversial call leaves Beavers angry
Debatable+buzzer-beater
Gabrielle Troyer

On Tuesday, January 2, 2024, the Corry Beavers JV basketball team played against the Harbor Creek Huskies. The game was a nail biter, the game was within 10 points the entire time. Harbor Creek is one of the tougher opponents every year so we knew it was going to be a good game. Corry started off a little slow in the first quarter, we were just slow on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. We usually start off pretty good but this game was away so that has a little affect on how we play so it was just a little slow.

After the first quarter we were awake and ready to go. Both teams played very hard and went back and forth with points. We went back and forth for the entire third quarter, lay-up after lay-up. Neither team could get a decent lead, it was just score after score. All tied up going into the fourth quarter.

Even in the fourth quarter no one can get a good lead. Later in the fourth, Harbor Creek hits a bank three to put them in the lead by two so they start to gain a little momentum. Then we miss a lay-up and later that possession, we turn the ball over so the other team gets it when they are up by two points. After that turnover they get two foul shots in that possession so now they are up by four. Then when we get the ball Nick Scouten is wide open for a three and he knocks it down, so now it is only a one point game.

They then hit a pull-up shot from near the foul line and it goes in so now its a three-point lead for the Huskies. They get the ball back after a turnover and they get fouled so they get two foul shots and make both of them, so now it’s a five-point game. When we are taking the ball up the court Nick Scouten decides to shoot another three and it goes straight in so now it is a two-point game. The Huskies are trying to waste time and look for a good shot. They shoot and miss, so we get the rebound and are heading down the floor then we get Landon Deane the ball down in the paint and he gets the lay-up to tie the game. They get the ball dribble down the court and miss a shot so then we get the rebound then Nick Scouten gets fouled and makes one of them so now we are up by 1 point with 7 seconds left in the game.

Then they dribble down the court and miss the shot and they get the rebound and make the buzzer-beater game winner and the refs count it making the Huskies take the win.