There is no such thing as ‘Normal People’

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

“Normal People” by Sally Rooney tells the story of Marianne and Connel throughout their high school and college years. Friendship, growth, and love is told beautifully in this book. Connel and Marianne pursue a secret romance in high school, which doesn’t end up working out, but they re-connect in the Scholars of Trinity College and try out a friendship. Experiencing such a tender love at a young age can alter your life’s path. It is all very realistic and relatable for the younger crowds.

When I first read this story, I heavily disliked Connel and the way he treated Marianne. Marianne was a loner and kept to herself majority of the time. It felt as if he was ashamed to be with her but that opinion quickly switched. Once they both went off to Trinity, the people they were in high school were gone. Connel’s mental health issues had become more difficult and persistent. He did not have many friends there and fitting in was hard. On the other hand, Marianne blossomed. She had an abundance of friends and seemed to be doing much better. I noticed that no matter how much they wanted to stay away from each other, it was impossible. Talking to one another seemed to be the only way they felt understood. Connel and Marianne had a connection that most people will not get in their life time.

The love they have for one another is tender and confusing. “Normal People” takes on the “right person, wrong time” trope. My favorite quote from this book is when Connel says, “I’m not a religious person, but I do sometimes think God made you for me.”

Everything was written perfectly and I think this is Sally Rooney’s best book. It is targeted towards teens and I agree with the chosen demographic. I think this is a very eye opening book and I recommend it to everyone.

5/5 stars all the way!