• May 13Good luck on the Keystone Exams this week, Corry students!
  • May 13Friday, May 17, is Mental Health Awareness Day, Coming Together to End the Stigma at Union City High School

Kenya’s new holiday

Environmental safety is very important. Keeping the environment healthy is also important. Everyone knows about climate change, global warming, forest fires, and all of the terrible toxins that get emitted into the air every day.  These problems occur daily, and as humans we have the duty to help nature flourish.

Recently, the Kenyan government sought to solve the problem by creating a public holiday to plant trees. The government declared a goal to have 15 billion trees planted in 10 years. They are starting by planting 100 million seedlings. They are making this wonderful holiday on November 13. According to Environment Minister Soipan Tuya, the holiday gives permission for “each and every Kenyan to own the initiative.” It also is encouraged for the citizens to plant trees on their own property and not only where the government is making land available.

This is nothing but positive news. Other countries could possibly get inspired by this. America could begin to rebuild what all got lost during the recent forest fires in California, Hawaii, and others.