Honoring our veterans

On November 10, the Honors 11 American History Students are holding a special meet and greet for veterans whether they are active or not. This event is in honor of Veterans Day, which is on November 11, so there will be coffee and donuts in the cafeteria for the veterans to enjoy.

The veterans will be welcomed from 9:30 to 10:30. During their visit, the high school band will be performing songs, students will be around serving, and inspirational patriotic music will be playing in the background. A video will also be shown of students thanking veterans who couldn’t attend. The elementary school has made a number of projects for the event, such as thank you cards and placemats. The middle school is also getting involved by making posters that will be hung in the school.

History teacher and organizer, Mr. Woods, described how Veterans Day is a part of social studies, teaching civic involvement to get people to understand. Woods said, “Being an American citizen isn’t just a benefit, it involves responsibility.”

One of the lessons that is being taught is honoring the people that have served us. The main goal is to have the students do a service project for the veterans, but also have a goal in honoring them as well.