Corry marching band earns 3rd place at championships

Jayden Southworth

On Saturday, October 28, the Corry Marching Band swept their competition away at their Lakeshore Marching Band Association (LMBA) championship. This was their final competition of the season where they placed 3rd against seven other schools. Several schools around the area came to the competition located in the Veterans Memorial Stadium at Collegiate Academy. 

The LMBA championship is a competition that provides an opportunity for marching bands across the county to showcase their talent one last time. Although every school makes it to the championship, the competitions are still very competitive with schools strengthening their music skills competition to competition. Corry performed in the Class A group, which is where the smallest bands go head to head. 

The Corry band played a variety of different songs this season at competitions such as “Oh What a Beautiful Morning,” “9 to 5,” “Five O’clock World,” and “Oh, What a Night.” When asked what Joseph Johnston, a member of the band, thought of championships, he responded, “It was a good combination of our season, we were hoping to get second, but we were still happy to hold our 3rd place.” 

Willow Bowen, a senior at Corry, got the opportunity to watch and support the band at this competition. When asked what she thought about the band’s performing, she answered, “I thought it was exciting! The Corry band was a little more classic than other bands and it was audibly noticeable. A lot of the other bands had more modern themes but Corry’s theme stood the test of time.”

Angie Cressley, a member of the band, was asked, “What did you think about this competition and the band season in general?” She responded, “This season was kinda rough since we ended up losing three members by the end of the season. With all of the band’s work, we ended up third out of seven others, which is a huge improvement, especially with how much work we put into this season.”