• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Israel and Palestine war effects felt from afar

On October 15, sources from AP NEWS report one landlord in Chicago, Illinois, was charged with a hate crime, after being accused of stabbing and fatally killing a 6-year-old boy, Wadea Al Fayoume. The attacker had impaled the young boy 26 times with his weapon. Also, suffering with over 12 stab wounds was 32-year-old Hanaan Shahin, the mother of the boy. 

As the war between Israel and Palestine continues, so do the harsh opinions surrounding it. There have been many outside effects from the war leading people to commit acts of hate all because of someone’s beliefs. 

Both family members being Muslim, the man was quoted shouting a derogatory insult “You Muslims must die.” Family of the man and police ruled that he committed this crime because of the victims faith. 

CNN Reports that the mother couldn’t even attend her son’s funeral because of her own serious injuries. A quote from their article reads  she “‘will be feeling Wadea’s loss more than anyone, but she is forced to mourn alone rather in the warm embrace of family and community at this time,’ Rehab said, adding she ‘is fighting serious bodily injuries at the hospital, not to mention the mental trauma of the gore she experienced and witnessed.’”

The attacker himself was 71-year-old Joseph M. Czuba. He would make remarks about Shahin bringing over Palestinian friends to “harm them.” Czuba was seen to be angry at Shahin moments before the stabbings occurred because of the current state of Jerusalem. 

Czuba has been charged with two counts of hate crimes and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, first degree murder and attempted second degree murder. This was stated by the Will County Sheriff’s Office.