High school (movie) musical

Rachael Hajec, Editor

“High School Musical, who says we have to let it go, it’s the best part we’ve ever known…”

A Disney Channel original classic, “High School Musical” is about a group of diverse students at East High that come together to all participate in “the theater!” Troy Bolton, the star basketball player, and Gabriella Montez, the honors student, unite and realize they love to sing and want to be the leads in the musical. As a child, I watched this movie musical religiously, but I then realized others might not know it exists, or just have not watched it before. For all my musical loving friends out there, and anyone who is looking for something new to watch, this review is for you.

East High is a high school full of kids who love to dream but are too afraid to show it. Sharpay and Ryan Evans, the lead music stars, assume to be the leads in every school musical performance… until this year. Troy Bolton, basketball team captain, and Gabriella Montez, a shy honors transfer student, suddenly meet and adapt a music-loving romance. As Gabriella and Troy audition together to become the leads of the musical, Ryan and Sharpay seek to sabotage their relationship in order for them to not want to perform. Will Ryan and Sharpay succeed and play the leads themselves?

The entire “High School Musical” cast is very well known. Although, because it was 2006, this movie was most of their first performances. Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, Monique Coleman, and especially Ashley Tisdale, did an admirable job. In my opinion, Ashley Tisdale (who plays Sharpay) does not get nearly enough credit for her acting and use of expression for her crazy character. One specific scene I enjoy the most is the iconic moment in the lunchroom where they all sing, “Stick to the Status Quo.” The main theme and purpose of this song is that everyone should do what others think they are meant to do and not be themselves, but the overall lesson to learn is to do the exact opposite. No matter what other people say or think, do what makes you happy. Whether that is playing basketball, or auditioning for the school musical.

This movie musical is a perfect fit for teenagers, or young kids, who are just starting high school. It shows you exactly how to have fun, express and love who you are, and dream big. It is a relatable PG movie that I would personally rate 50 stars out of 5, but in reality 4.5 stars out of 5.