A final reflection on my Beaver Tales journey

Thoughts from a graduating senior
Alivia Burger, Ruthie Light, Willow Bowen, Emma Minnick (Beaver Tales staff members past and present)
Willow Bowen

Writing a reflection on my experience with the newspaper is definitely surreal for me.

I started writing for Beaver Tales in 10th grade, having no idea what to expect from it, only to find that I would fall in love with the process of journalism and writing articles. As I created a schedule for my following 11th grade year, I sat long and hard thinking about what direction I truly wanted to go in with my life. My original future plans suddenly seemed to dull as I felt stumped, not actually passionate about the roads it took to be in these certain careers. It genuinely clicked like a light bulb in my head when I thought back to my 5th period newspaper class, and how much I truly enjoyed it.

Since that day I have felt confident in my decision to pursue broadcast journalism, soon to call Allegheny College my new home for education. I look back on my old articles thinking about how my writing has evolved for the better, and I’ve learned how to step out of old habits and comfort zones. It really does feel like yesterday when my first article was published only starting as a reporter, moving on to an editor, to then one of the three co-editors-in-chief.

I would encourage anyone to take a chance on writing for Beaver Tales because they will grow as a writer with the help and encouragement from advisor Mr. McBriar, make new friends, and become more in touch with what they’re passionate about. 

Gavin Kent, Avery Gates, Reagan White, Carter Slocum, Cooper Slocum, Willow Bowen, Joseph Johnston