Oscar: A man’s best friend

A tribute to my best friend

Oscar was a big 120 pound German Shepherd. Even with his massive size, he was not a fat dog. He was really tall and built of pure muscle. He was always very protective of his family, and even though people were intimidated by him, he was a really sweet dog, whose heart was even bigger than himself.

He was usually really good when it came to staying in his yard, but if his little brother Jake (a Gordon Setter) would run away, Oscar would follow him, and not return until his brother did as well. Like most German Shepherds, Oscar was a very smart boy. He could open unlocked doors by himself. Believe it or not, but Oscar could also bark simple words. For example, if he wanted food he would bark in a way that highlighted the “oo” sound. He did this with a few other words if he wanted to go outside. Even though some people would say Oscar’s brain was the size of a peanut due to certain things he’d do that weren’t the smartest, he was remarkably intelligent. Sometimes rather than going around something he’d just plow through it. Sometimes he’d move the kitchen table and its chairs across the floor, without even realizing it. He was a lot stronger than he thought.

Oscar never was really aware of his size. He always stayed in the puppy mindset, and always thought he was a lap dog. He liked to snuggle with his family, sometimes jumping up on their bed and laying down on their chest. He was also a very playful dog, who enjoyed playing fetch with his beat up, squeaky rabbit toy, which he tried to be gentle with after ripping off its legs. Oscar and his older German Shepherd sister (Xena) would always chase animals out of the yard together, like chipmunks and the occasional flock of geese. He was a very energetic dog, who was always running and roaming the yard.

Sometimes he would be a bad boy though. If we ever got company, he’d feel the need to run over to their car, and mark their tire, and sometimes he would play a little too rough with his little brother Jake, but overall he was a really good dog, who rarely caused trouble, even though he would always scare the Amish neighbors who went by on their scooters.

On February 13, 2024, Oscar passed away at the age of eight years old. Up until then (even when he got sick) he tried  his best to protect his family. He was a really sweet dog, and his family will forever miss him. He was such a unique dog who was always doing something interesting. And even though he was huge, he was always so cute and lovable.

Rest easy “little” buddy. You were such a great dog, and a great best friend.