• May 13Good luck on the Keystone Exams this week, Corry students!

What to know about LEGO League

The sport and club LEGO League is getting ready to start! The advisors of LEGO League are Steven Griffis, Megan Pound, Erica Thier, and Leah Walls. The starting date is Thursday, December 14. They meet every Tuesday and Thursday 3-4:30 p.m.

There are currently 22 middle school students and 20 intermediate students. Their first competition is Saturday, February 10 at Penn State Behrend where they will compete against other local teams.

Students are meant to compete in challenges. With these challenges there are three total parts: The Robot Game, The Project, and the FLL Core Values. The students must create teams and program an autonomous robot made of LEGOs to participate in the challenge as well as score points, this takes place on a themed playing field, which is what makes up the Robot Game. They must identify and figure out how to solve a problem which is the Project.  All of these are guided by the FLL Core Values. Teams are then able to attend an official tournament hosted by their FIRST LEGO League Partners at Penn State Behrend.

The students engage in STEM as they go through this friendly but competitive competition. They work to research, problem solve, code, and engineer. They have to explore and solve real-world problems. While learning to design and code they also create exclusive solutions made with LEGO bricks. LEGO League helps build hands-on experience and critical thinking for the students.