Empowering Pound

Empowering+Pound

In 2018, Corry Middle High School was graced with a teacher who would help and encourage the education of many students. That teacher would be mathematician Megan Victoria Pound. Pound began a journey with her career at Edinboro University. Staying close as she grew up in Erie, PA, at Seneca High, Erie still currently the place she calls home. She chose to pursue secondary mathematics and special education. Pound described an empowering reason as to why she chose to go into the field of math, feeling passionate about bringing up the low rates of women in math and science majors. Pounds sisters also have very influential careers, her older sister also being a teacher, and her younger sister working in concrete.

Apart from teaching at school, Pound loves to spend time with family, especially her two nephews. She will soon have one more family member to give her time to as she has a niece on the way. Other than spending time with family, Pound volunteers for her church. She is also very involved in outdoor activities. Such as rollerblading, traveling, kayaking, and snowboarding. One of Pound’s dream travel destinations would be Switzerland, to snow board in the chilly climate. There was one more destination that would be the opposite of a chilly climate, and that’s the blazing heat of Australia. She would prefer to steer clear of any giant spiders that might creep and crawl upon her.

One of the biggest goals that Pound strives to accomplish in her future would be opening up a school for girls in a third world country. Many children, girls specifically, do not have the access to learn while living in third world conditions. Pound’s sister will be visiting Kenya, a country in East Africa. She hopes that this could potentially open some doors for a future plan of education.

Pound is an excellent person to work with children’s futures because of her teaching skills for many years in public school and other activities. Every summer time, she would work at a summer camp, consistently for seven years straight out of high school. She has experience with playing soccer, being a part of a team for eight years, later being a coach for soccer for four years. Currently, she finds herself involved in running the high school’s unified track team. This winter, Pound will be taking a polar plunge with the team, an activity of jumping into freezing water in the cold windy weather. This will be her second year participating.

A crucial thing to know about Pound is she loves the emotion of sarcasm. She believes it as a way to survive the lifestyle of being born a middle child. If you don’t want to annoy this middle child, it would be wise not to mess with her glasses. Her biggest pet peeve is when her glasses are touched by others, or have a smudge on the glass. Pound also cannot stand when people are rude to service workers for no apparent reason, “Karens” specifically. One thing that Pound would encourage anyone reading to follow would be to “travel and experience new things.”