• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Observant Oak

Observant+Oak

Oak, the crested gecko, came into my life around May of 2019, making him five years old. He transpired into my life from PetSmart, two months after I had already got my first reptile Spirit. My mom was very reluctant to let me get another pet since I had just got one, but luckily, she allowed me to get Oak because he is thriving even after having him for five years. 

Oak has several characteristics that make up his unique personality. He is more on the reserved side because he only moves around his enclosure at night, but I guess he is nocturnal so that makes sense. He is very jumpy with constantly launching himself onto the walls and vines of his environment. He also is mysterious because he is always hiding in the cracks and crevices of his plants and decor. 

When it comes to Oak’s favorite food, he loves a fruity paste that is carefully hand-mixed by me. Even though he is offered food every night, he likes to keep his figure small and likes to save half of his food for the next day. On occasion, he’ll enjoy crickets that he has to hunt around his enclosure to keep his survival instincts intact. 

Although I have had him for years, I am looking forward to continuing to grow with Oak. We have been with each other through it all. Through almost all of my middle school years and all of my high school career, he has seen it all. He was the first reptile that I experimented with a bioactive enclosure with (a live-planted tank), and he has brought me so much joy over the years.