Nester the stubborn donkey

Nester the stubborn donkey
Avery Gates

Nester was adopted as a five year old to become the first animal on a new hobby farm and ever since then, he’s been the mascot of the Gates family. When he was first found he was not in great conditions. He was small (even for a miniature donkey) and his hooves were very overgrown so you can imagine how thankful he was to be brought into a loving family with kids.

Donkeys are known to be heard protectors and that’s exactly how he conducted business but growing up, I only knew him to be the big friendly toy. He would follow me in the pasture then stand as I attempted and failed to ride him.

Now when I asked Nester what his favorite thing to do was and he couldn’t pick just one he said, “Oh, I’m rather busy when out and about. I’d have to say my number one favorite thing is to take halters off of the horses and loose them in the field, and then, my second favorite is to randomly get out sometimes because I like the grass in the lawn more than in the pasture.” Now if that isn’t just the definition purely spoiled and stubborn.

Nester acts as though he doesn’t get fed but he has 24-hour access to food, water, and extra snacks. One of Nester’s dislikes is getting his hooves trimmed and when I say hates, I mean the gentle giant will stand on his hind legs.

Nester much loves the attention he gets from visitors and his own family so much so that he will follow you around anywhere you go but there is one thing you cannot and will never get him to do, run. He will walk if you put grain in front of him, but you cannot get him to run or trailer.

Nester is going on 20 this year, but without a doubt this donkey has more life to him. If you were to ask him how old he really was, he’d deny any accusations that he was past his prime, and he surely doesn’t show it one bit. Growing up with Nester has been one of my biggest brags, because who doesn’t want a donkey to cuddle?

You can find him at the Gates residence probably head deep in the grain bin after figuring out his latest escape. Excuse me as I go mend a fence.