• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Local competitive dancers kick off their competition season this weekend

Alex Fox

Corry’s competitive dance team Dance To The Beat is headed to Elmira, NY, this weekend to start off their competition season. They are competing at the New York State Dance Challenge competition. They have been practicing since the fall to perfect their dances. These dancers need to impress the judges with impressive choreography, perfect technique throughout every single move, constant facial expressions, flawless timing, amazing stage presence and entertaining musicality. 

There will be 20 local soloists competing for the top spots. Jazz, lyrical, open, musical theater, contemporary, and tap will be styles that they perform. Our studio just has two duets this year, one hype junior hip-hop duet and one teen lyrical duet. 

Small and large group dances will also be showcasing their talent and hoping to take home a trophy. Two large group dances will compete, one in the category contemporary and one hip-hop. There will be three tap small groups, five jazz small groups, and two lyrical small groups. 

The studio is excited to show off their newest competitive members, the minis! There are 10 adorable new dancers with their ages ranging from five to seven. They are competing in one of the jazz dances and one of the tap numbers. They have danced with DTTB since preschool and all proved themselves competition worthy after trying out this past spring. All of the dancers and parents are excited to cheer the little ones on. 

Stay tuned to see an update on how these dancers perform and place. They are going into this season with their best foot forward and their hopes high.