• May 6Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 6There is No School for Students this Friday, May 10 due to a teacher In-Service Day

English classes celebrate Shakespeare’s birthday

On Friday, Mr. McBriar threw a Shakespeare birthday party for all six of his classes. There was two cakes provided that are enough to last all of his classes. Students were also given the option to volunteer and bring any other snacks. The snacks could be sweet treats as well. Students were also given the option to bring drinks.

Mr. McBriar encouraged students to think about bringing Shakespeare-themed drinks or snacks if you chose to partake in volunteering, but that was also optional.

Shakespeare’s birthday falls on April 23, but the party was held a couple of days later on the day of his baptism. There was Shakespeare festivities lasted the whole class period for all classes. The festivities included playing Shakespeare themed bingo and making birthday cards that will be presented for Shakespeare as if he was receiving the card. When the students make the birthday cards for Shakespeare, it requires vocabulary use of how Shakespeare and others from that time would talk.

All four of Mr. McBriar’s English classes are in a “Romeo and Juliet” unit as of right now. His students are reading the play with roles, and watching scenes of the movie. Around the world, many schools also are reading Romeo and Juliet, as it is somewhat of a tradition to read it for your ninth grade year. Mr. McBriar has thrown this party for his students for at least 15 years, and plans to keep up with this for future classes.