• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Earth Day celebrates 54 years

Earth Day celebrates 54 years

First observed on April 22, 1970, Earth Day has developed into an annual celebration of Earth as well as bringing awareness to the preservation of Earth.

Senator Gaylord Nelson noticed the lack of, to almost non-existent, regulations and decided to create Earth Day in 1970. With the creation of Earth Day he hoped to bring this issue to the attention of the entire nation. Twenty million Americans participated in observing the first Earth Day, starting the well-known day. In December of the same year, the government created the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to ensure earth would have regulations to preserve and help it thrive.

The theme for this year’s Earth Day is “Planet v. Plastics.” About one billion people in an estimated 193 countries participate in Earth Day in today’s age. This awareness and mass amount of people help to spread the importance of recycling and keeping the Earth as clean as possible, as well as supporting regulations to protect it in the present and future.

In today’s society classrooms nationwide learn about what Earth Day is, how it started, and how each student can help do their part in protecting the Earth and all who are on it. Second grade students at the Corry Primary School had a project recently where they took items deemed as “trash” and created “treasure.” This project was to show just how many things can be recycled and how important it is to get the most use out of each item they use.

There are many ways students and residents in not just Corry, but nationwide, can help preserve the planet. Some suggestions by Earth-conscious sites recommend planting trees, getting a group together for garbage clean-up, using less plastics, and more. Other cities throughout the U.S. host 5Ks, nature walks, Earth awareness events, and other festivities. So grab your shovels and plant some trees!