• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

My trapping experience

My trapping experience

I never really thought about trapping or hunting before I took the hunters safety course. Ever since I took that course, I have wanted to trap with my dad. He had told me he only ever trapped alone, so if I really wanted to trap, then he would be happy to have me trap with him.

When my dad first told me that him and I were going to trap beavers, I did not really want to go because it was cold and I did not want to have to wake up early. But once I actually started going out and helping set the traps with my dad, it was a lot better than I had thought it would be.

My neighbor had told my dad about beavers ruining their pond, so they asked him to trap the beavers for them. So, that is what we did every day for about three days. We went out to check the trap and make sure we had not trapped one.

The day after we set the beaver trap we trapped one beaver, but there were two of them, so we still had to set the trap up again. Not only did we set beaver traps, but we set mink, raccoon, fox, and coyote traps as well. We were not successful with any other trap besides the beavers.

Since there were two beavers and we had only trapped one of them, there was still one left. So for a couple days we left the trap up, but this beaver was smart and would not go through the trap.