Daylight savings 2024

Daylight savings 2024
Shutterstock

On Sunday, March 10, the majority of the United States set their clocks forward an hour for daylight savings. The only states that did not participate in this were Arizona and Hawaii. This is the second time that the clocks have been changed this year, with Americans setting the time back an hour on November 3. 

Daylight savings is an effort to make better use of day time in the Summer so that it becomes darker at a later time. Even though this practice has been happening for decades, a lot of legislators have been attempting to pass bills against it over the last couple of years. In 2022, The Senate passed a bill that would leave daylight savings time permanent in 2023, but the bill ended up going through a process of revision. The bill is known as the Sunshine Protection Act and so far nothing has really come of it. 

Americans were feeling the effects of daylight savings Monday morning because technically America has lost an hour of sleep. It is making people feel more awake during the evening though because the sun is starting to set around 7:30 p.m. Around half of Americans are in favor of daylight savings while the other half is not, and if Congress would allow states to make their own decisions, then over two dozen states would put a bill in place to end daylight savings. All in all, this process was established by farmers so that they could have more daylight while working. This makes a lot of people feel like daylight savings is unnecessary and outdated.