The Whole Lotta Red effect

The Whole Lotta Red effect

Picture this it is December 25, 2021. You wake up and check Twitter and see that your favorite rapper Playboi Carti dropped an album. You rush downstairs to open presents, and the third present you open is the pair of headphones you have been longing for for 2 years. You decide to listen to the masterpiece Carti has dropped, and you don’t know how you feel.

The Whole Lotta Red effect, named after Carti’s album from Christmas 2021, is the effect of needing to listen to an album multiple times before finally being able to understand and enjoy it. This effect can range from Carti’s “Opium” style from WLR, to JID’s “The Forever Story” fans “sleep” on many albums before actually trying to understand the deeper meaning.

There are also albums that have recently dropped with this effect behind them. Kanye West’s “Vultures 1” is one of these albums, not having the usual Kanye sound behind them, fans right now do not like it yet. If you look into the past though, this album will be very appreciated in about 3 months. The WLR effect is a very important thing in rap culture, and you can see the effects everywhere.