The 66th Annual Grammys were filled with surprises

CBS

On Sunday, February 4, the Grammys presented the 66th Annual Grammy Awards with several emotional performances and shocking wins. Some of the most notable wins this year were Miley Cyrus’s “Flowers” winning Record of the Year, Billie Eilish’s “What was I made for?” winning Song of the Year, Sza’s “Snooze” winning Best R & B Song, and Taylor Swift’s “Midnights” winning Album of the Year. This was Miley Cyrus’s first ever Grammy, and Taylor Swift made history being the only artist to win Album of the Year four times. 

Although the wins were exciting on their own, the performances this year left people entertained and even at times heart touching. Luke Combs performed his cover of “Fast Car” with original singer Tracey Chapman; Miley Cyrus performed “Flowers” for the first time on live television; Billie Eilish performed “What was I made for?” alongside her brother, Finneas, playing the piano; and Olivia Rodrigo performed “Vampire” as blood poured out from the walls behind her. There were many other performances this year, but these are definitely the most significant from the night. 

Many Taylor Swift fans were left in shock when she gave her speech after winning Album of the Year. Fans were already expecting a surprise from Swift because she changed her profile picture to her with a black background and some of the other accounts affiliated with her started posting photos that referenced Taylor Swift’s album “Reputation.” With Swift being in the process of re-recording all of her old music, fans were expecting her to make an announcement about releasing Taylor’s version of “Reputation.” Instead she announced that she is releasing a new album titled “The Tortured Poets Department” coming out on April 19, 2024. 

Taylor Swift posted the announcement on Instagram after she gave her speech. It got over three million likes within 10 minutes. Instagram stories were filled with fans reposting her post on their stories and them freaking out. No one could have even imagined Swift releasing a new album, especially with how busy she has been traveling the world on her tour and re-recording her old music.