‘Hacksaw Ridge’ will have you in tears

Hacksaw Ridge will have you in tears

The 2016 movie “Hacksaw Ridge” by directors Mel Gibson and Claude Autant-Lara is based on a true story that happened during WWII. The movie follows Desmond Doss (Andrew Garfield), a man who had a dream to be a medic in the army under the circumstances of never holding a weapon.

A flashback starts off the movie. We are introduced to young Desmond (Darcy Bryce)  and his brother Harold Doss (Roman Guerriero). The flashback gives hints to the family problems they face as well as Desmond, his faith, and strong beliefs. In the present time we follow Desmond as he finds a lady who happens to be a nurse. As Desmond is in the hospital he runs into the military men who just got back from war. This sparks his interest in helping others while they fight for freedom. We then follow Desmond as he joins the army as well as his brother (Nathaniel Buzolic), gets into a little bit of trouble, and fights in the war. Most importantly we follow him through all of the lives he saves

The movie takes place during WWII mainly in Okinawa during the battle of Hacksaw Ridge. Throughout the movie we are faced with death, miracles, hope, sadness, every emotion you can think of. It’s full of faith as we hope Desmond can save everyone.

The movie is rated R, therefore, the intended audience is late teens and adults. Though the movie is history-based it is full of interesting scenes. I definitely recommend it to  anyone who is interested in history or just action movies. This movie has it all: action, horror, romance, history. It is a wonderful movie based on a true soldier.

5/5