• May 13Good luck on the Keystone Exams this week, Corry students!

How to celebrate Halloween (Corry Style)

Outside+of+the+Slocum+Haunted+House+Cooper+Slocum%2C+Carter+Slocum%2C+Willow+Bowen%2C+and+Ruthie+Light+pose+for+a+picture.+
Cooper Slocum
Outside of the Slocum Haunted House Cooper Slocum, Carter Slocum, Willow Bowen, and Ruthie Light pose for a picture.

Orange and yellow leaves are swirling down from the trees and the blowing wind chills the late October air. As you make your way through the quaint town of Corry, orange lights are strung, corn stalks are up, and pumpkins guard front doors. This year specifically seems like the Halloween spirit in Corry is more strong than ever before with houses being decorated left and right. 

Trick or treating will be held on Tuesday October 31, 2023, starting at 6 p.m. and ending at 7:30. Make sure if you’re going out to get candy to stroll through the candy lanes of Corry, which include basically all roads surrounding the primary school.

As for other events landing around halloweekend, I went out and asked Corry locals what their plans are for the big night. According to CAHS student Landon Hasbrouck, he plans to pass out candy at one of his friends’ houses and then create a horror short film.

Another major event around the spooky holiday is the new “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie. Many said they are going to go, including Ryan Webb, a senior at CAHS. Lastly, there are some costume party pop ups according to Hunter LaSalvia, a CAHS senior, who plans on stopping by at some. 

If you still don’t know what you are going to do and you are into getting scared, there are many haunted attractions around the Corry area. In Erie there is an old abandoned factory that was transformed into a haunted house, which is called Erie Abyss. Another attraction is Sparrow Pond outside of Waterford, which consists of a haunted hayride. The hot spot this year though for Halloween is, of course, Conneaut Lake’s “Ghost Lake.” Many Corry locals have flocked to the state recognized haunted attraction to get their scare on this year.

For more family friendly activities, at Port Farms in Waterford you can pick pumpkins, journey through a corn maze, and go on a tractor ride if that is more your speed. 

I hope after reading this you have your weekend booked because no one should be left home bored during the best time of the year.