• May 6Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 6There is No School for Students this Friday, May 10 due to a teacher In-Service Day

Corry welcomes Ms. May

This year Corry High welcomed Ms. May. Originally from Sugar Grove, May graduated from Eisenhower High School in 2019, then went on to get her bachelor’s in English and is still currently in school for her Master’s in Secondary Education at Mercyhurst University. She plans on graduating again in May 2024.

This is Ms. May’s first official teaching job, and she is  “definitely appreciative of this opportunity.” When asked why Ms. May chose Corry as her first teaching job, she said, “I chose to work in the Corry Area School District because the mission statement resonated with me; I think it’s extremely important for students to not only be educated in the traditional courses, but to become well-rounded individuals who can and will contribute to our society. Corry has been a great school to begin my teaching career at because all of the other teachers and members of administration have been so helpful and supportive!”

Her favorite subject in both high school and college was English. May says she enjoyed English because she “loves a good book and hopes to help her students find a book that resonates with them the way that many books have for me.” I then asked Ms. May what she is most looking forward to during her time at Corry, she replied, “I’m mostly looking forward to learning with the students. It’s not always common to be given a position while still in college, and my students have been teaching me just as much as I’m teaching them.”

In May’s free time she enjoys spending time with family and pets, cooking and baking, reading, writing, and spending time outside. Her dream vacation would consist of “being in the mountains with an endless supply of books! However, I think that as long as I had something to read and my pets, I’d be happy anywhere quiet and warm.”

I also asked what Ms. May’s favorite book/movie is and she said, “One of my favorite books and the corresponding movie is “The Five People You Meet in Heaven.” I read it when I was in middle school, and immediately fell in love,” May said. “It was extremely eye opening and really stressed the point that even in our everyday lives, we have the ability to impact so many other people, positively and negatively.”

I would like to thank Ms. May for taking the time to answer my questions! It is very much appreciated.