• May 6Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 6There is No School for Students this Friday, May 10 due to a teacher In-Service Day

Corry track teams compete in Hickory Invitational

JAC Sports Images

The varsity athletes for the boys and girls track team travelled to Hickory on Saturday, April 20, to compete in their first invitational of the season. Although the wind and cold temperatures made it difficult to hit times and reach marks, many athletes made it on the podium. Some athletes even made it on the podium multiple times throughout the day, as well.

Overall, the boys finished five out of 24 teams, and the girls finished three out of the 24 teams. Sprinting coach, Mrs. Turben, noted how impressed she was with all of her athletes’ performances on Saturday. “I feel like they did well. We have a couple younger sprinters coming up that I’m very excited about.”

One younger sprinter in particular that really stood out in her first high school track invitational was freshman Grace Allen. Allen placed in all four of her events. She competed in the 100 meter dash and placed sixth, the 200 (6), triple jump (third), and the 4×400 meter relay (second).

The 4×400 relay team consisted of Allen, another freshman Haley Mumau, junior Jordan Fox, and senior Camryn Fox. Allen has qualified for the District meet in multiple events already this year, as well. Those events are: 100 meter dash, 200, 4×100 relay, 4×400, and the triple jump.

Allen is not only trying to make Districts in many events and perform well, she has her eyes on being on the podium at districts for “at least one event.” She noted how she feels “physically…the best shape I’ve ever been in.” When asked how she is enjoying her freshman year of track she said, “I’m loving it. It’s more like an independent sport which I like, but I also like meeting new people and becoming friends with my teammates.”

Turben also noted how sophomore Blake Cook performed extremely well at the invitational Saturday, winning two events. He is also extremely close to breaking the 300 hurdle record for the school. Overall, Turben noted how “well-rounded” the team was as a whole and is interested to see how Districts will play out for both teams.

The Beavers also headed to Franklin on Tuesday, April 23, for another region meet. The girls were able to win convincingly with a 107-42 final score, continuing their undefeated record in the region. The boys were able to finish with a close 77-73 win over Franklin, with their only region loss being Oil City this year.

Varsity track athletes will head to McDowell on Friday the 26 for another invitational. The throwing events will start at 2 p.m. tomorrow, with track events following at 3 p.m. Good luck to the athletes competing.