Don’t let this song go

Deep dive and review of “Don’t Let Me Go” by MGK

The intro to the song is hidden so far back in the production that you can barely hear it, but it is a conversation between MGK and Elisa Jane. The first verse starts off simple, with only the piano in the background. The tempo is slower and feels more hollow and the lyrics begin by talking about how he thinks his death will cause the hate to go away. The turning point is when he says, “I wish they would understand me one time, I had a breakdown and tatted my entire body except one line.” This refers to how he has a whole catalog of songs that talk about his mental health and his journey, he even released a documentary about his life, yet people still only see him for his rap battle and controversy against Eminem. In another song of his, “Taurus” he discusses how true fans will open up his discography of songs and be reminded that he was a lonely kid living in a scary city, being abused daily by his father. 

As he goes into the second half of the chorus he begins pen tapping on a table, which creates the main beat and percussion for the song along with a pounding on the table. It is still a very hollow feeling, but so full of sounds that creates an anxious, suspenseful tension. He quickly rattles out “Everything’s just fine” before going down the rabbit hole of the feelings when you have a mental breakdown. The back and forth in his mind is clear within this verse. 

Then, MGK says, “Yeah, Slim, bring the beat in” referring to Slimxx, his producer, and the beat drops into a faster paced portion of the song, although we are still in verse one. In this part he goes back and talks about his childhood and how he got a ton of bad qualities from his father’s abuse, but his father is also the one who saved him at birth. He also talks about how he was finally able to forgive his mother for walking out on him when he was a kid, which is a big step for people in the long run. Holding a grudge against someone you miss is tiring. It exhausts a person and can hold them back from learning, growing, and making relationships.

Unlike most songs, the chorus is a repetition of the same sentence: “I’m coming back, just let me go,” which can be interpreted as an inner argument, or as someone arguing with someone else to just let them go. A big part of MGK’s life is his addiction to different substances. A common theme among many addicts is that they will fight to leave and be left alone to go get high, but will run back for money, or help when they finally realize they want out of the life they are living. When he ends the chorus with, “I’m coming back, don’t let me go” it shows that while his internal struggle and the part of him that thinks he NEEDS to go and get his fix, harming himself, he really wants someone to keep trying and not give up on getting him help. 

We then delve into verse two where he talks about how he began his career and became popular because of a character he played. However, over time the character took over and he can’t find himself anymore. He then talks about the main point of this song, which is that he has been trying to explain through his music, his therapy, to the people that he really is just human and can’t change his mistakes. He then has a part of the verse where he says, “Rehab patient, with a pen and some paper,” which is abnormal because in a normal, picturesque, scene of therapy, the therapist holds the pen and paper. In this line he is making an indirect analogy of music being his therapy. He then writes the line, “How can I live with the fact that my hand wasn’t on her stomach when we lost the baby?” Which he had previously talked about in his songs “Twin Flame” and “Last November.” He talks about blaming himself for Megan Fox’s miscarriage and feeling like he did something to cause it to happen. 

While this song has very heavy lyrics, the point is to shine light on problems many artists and everyday people have. I believe he was trying to show that there is a vulnerable, more personal side to him than what people normally see. As a society, people paint celebrities as not having feelings, to not go through struggles, and it really is a place that needs growth and attention.