Musical Mishaps

Musical+Mishaps

It was five minutes until the concert began. I checked all the instruments three times over until I was sure everything was perfect. I worked in the Winden City Orchestra and it was my dream job. I was never able to master my favorite instrument, the violin, but I am able to make sure all the instruments sound wonderful. 

The lights began to dim and I knew it was show time. The opener began with solos from the clarinets. When they played the first note everyone gasped. Instead of sounding like a clarinet, the sound of an electric guitar pierced the air. Just like they were trained, the musicians continued like nothing happened. However, when the violins began, they sounded like drums.

It actually sounded quite interesting, like it was a rock concert instead of an orchestra. However, when all the other instruments joined in, it sounded terrible. Think of when you hear a bunch of instruments being dropped in a cartoon.

The musician did not even make it through half of the song. The crowd began to boo. The musicians looked around surprised, and some even started to point fingers. 

One cellist said to another, “You have always been jealous of me! Ever since we first began you couldn’t help but be angry at my natural talent!”

“I did nothing to your worthless piece of trash cello! Why would I sabotage my own?”

One pianist did something that still sends shivers down my spine. “It was the girl who checks our instruments! She could never make the orchestra so she sabotaged us all!”

Never in my life have I wanted to run out of that place. With angry musicians on my tail, I sprinted out the doors and all the way to my car. I sat there, thinking about how everything went wrong. I did not know how to get the instruments to sound correct, but I knew how to fix the orchestra. I went back inside and carefully told the musicians to line up based on the noise their instrument was playing. Once they were settled, I took the stand as the conductor, and the music started. 

Now, I knew that the orchestra sounded like nothing before. It was a full on rock concert. The spectators who were only interested in classical music left in a rage, however most stayed. When it ended, I received a standing ovation. 

A few days later, the police arrested a man who was in charge of the lights. He apparently put a chip into the instruments and it somehow changed what they sounded like. No one knew how he did it. I was also given the job to be the new conductor, which I happily agreed to. Who knew that such a musical mishap could change my life forever?