The Detroit Lions best season yet

The Detroit Lions best season yet

The Detroit Lions have been infamous for being a terrible team. This has been the case, practically forever. This season, however, has been way different. Here is a recap of the greatest season the Lions have had in history. 

The first game of the NFL season was the Kansas City Chiefs vs the Detroit Lions. With the Chiefs being the reigning Super Bowl champions, as well as making it far/winning another Super Bowl in 2020, every NFL fan knew the Lions were doomed. The Detroit team proved everyone wrong when they came out victorious against the talented team, winning 21-20. Little did everyone know that this was the start of a fantastic season for the Lions. 

The Lions went 5-0 and everyone was absolutely amazed. They continued to show off their talent and eventually went into the playoffs with a record of 12-5. This is the first time they have made it to the playoffs in years, and they haven’t won a playoff game in a whopping 32 years. They were set to face the LA Rams for the first playoff wildcard game. What is ironic about this is that in 2021 the two teams traded quarterbacks. So ex-Rams player, Jared Goff, has been leading the Lions this season, and showed the Rams what they missed out on when the Lions beat the Rams with a score of 24-23.

Not only QB Jared Goff, but running back David Montgomery, wide-receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, defensive end Aiden Hutchinson, and many other players have helped lead the team to their victories this season. 

The worst loss of the season was over the holidays, against the Dallas Cowboys. It was a close, back and forth game all throughout. With barely two minutes left of the game, Decker, number 68 scored a touchdown to take the lead and win. This player is not an eligible receiver, and in order to score points legally in the NFL, the team must report to the officials the play they want to make and that this lineman is going to try to score. The referee called the points off after the touchdown, stating that he never reported eligible. There is a video of 68 going up to referee, Brad Allen, before the play and then the referee nodding his head understanding that he reported eligible. Even though there is video proof of this interaction between the official and 68, the referee thought that Taylor, number 70 was who they wanted to report eligible since he had previously reported eligible multiple times that game before. Ultimately, they took the points away and Brad Allen lost the Lions the game. Football fans everywhere were outraged. Many people shared their anger on Twitter, suggesting that officials should be forced to wear body cams so plays/interactions can be watched back and their mistakes can be caught. You do not have to like the Lions to admit this was the worst call of the season, and one of the worst in history. 

Back to the positives, the Lions have had a great season nevertheless. They still have an impressive record, and are headed to play the Tampa Bay Bucs Sunday, January 21 at 3 p.m. at Ford Field in the next round of the playoffs. Hopefully, the team will benefit from home field advantages. Can the Lions land a spot in the Super Bowl for the first time ever, and possibly even earn their first Super Bowl ring? I hope so, but stay tuned to find out how the rest of their season plays out.