Is it possible to enjoy art from problematic artists?

Can people still enjoy certain things from public figures that have been canceled?

For ages people have been listening to music, watching sports and been into fashion since the beginning of time. And at the same time people have been doing things that go against the moral compass of society. The major question is that when a public figure like a musician does something that goes against this moral compass, can people still enjoy the good these people do and avoid the bad things they’ve done?

To start, a big name in the news recently is Kanye West. He has shown his anti-Semitic views openly on public television, but fans still enjoy and listen to his music and wear his clothes.

Another example of someone being supported after being canceled is the popular NBA player Kyrie Irving. He was almost kicked out of the NBA, and lost sponsorships after posting a movie on Twitter that had a view on Jewish people that wasn’t great. Although he was canceled, he apologized and people continued to buy his products, and he gained a new shoe deal with a new brand.

These two people got lucky because of their fans, but one brand did not luck out. The brand I am inferring to is Balenciaga, who got canceled for using child models in an inappropriate way. They really have not been talk of since, with other brands overpowering them.

In conclusion, I believe that a person or brand can still be enjoyed by fans after being canceled, but it is up to the fans to choose if they still want to support them.