My Top 10 Favorite Frank Ocean Songs

My Top 10 Favorite Frank Ocean Songs

Frank Ocean is an artist, well-known for his alternative R&B music. He released his first song in 2010, creating the large audience that he has now. Frank Ocean has accumulated over 10 billion streams just on Spotify. Although the popular artist has only released two studio albums, the fans are hoping to receive another sooner than later. I will be ranking 10 of my all time favorite Frank Ocean songs. Throughout this list take a dive into my personal music taste and you might agree.

10. “Chanel” – When Frank Ocean released this song it raised the question to his fans of what sexuality he identified with. It was revealed that this song is a dedication to not following the norms, and how he actually was bisexual and had appreciation for both men and women.  In this song he sings about the expectations of feeling pressured to fit the standard of what a man should be in this generation.

9. “Pink+White” – In this piece Frank educates his audience on his past experiences, and how life changing events like death have affected him. A fun fact about this song is that the back up vocals are actually performed by Beyoncé. This song shows Ocean’s morals and gives his fans the chance to really understand him and what he has gone through.

8. “Lost” – “Lost” is a song that focuses on a story line of getting sucked into a drug smuggling profession. He sings about all of the places she goes to, and how she will someday become someone she never expects. She is just lost in the thrill that she gets from her profession. This song is fun and is something that his audience would definitely expect him to produce.

7. “Ivy” – “Ivy” is a song that can give serotonin at any moment. Frank takes us to his past, and while he sings he talks about how he isn’t a kid anymore, so he shouldn’t let the past affect him as much as he tends to. I find this song to be eye-opening and sympathetic to others in the same situation.

6. “Thinkin’ Bout You” – This song is a message to the person Frank Ocean most desires. He is singing about not having clarity and longing for peace of mind. He wants to understand how the other person is feeling, but doesn’t want to assume too much of the moment. This song is relatable and a lot of people can understand what he is going through.

5. “Novacane” – In this piece Frank says the meaning behind it was to show the non-important things taking control, and getting in the way. Another reason behind this song was to show that a woman represented something that he wanted so much more, and it numbed him from his reality. I find this song to be exhilarating and jazzy.

4. “White Ferrari” – This song shows being there for someone through thick and thin. White symbolizes purity and innocence, while a Ferrari symbolizes passion. I think the title of the song is to show the intense feeling of wanting someone and things you will do to protect and savor a moment with people who mean a lot to you.

3. “Cayendo” – Frank Ocean published this song to show that he was falling in love. Cayendo means falling in Spanish. I find this to be ironic because he spent the song reciprocating his desires for happiness and love. This song is a combination of Spanish and English. Personally, I enjoyed this mix because he executed it very adeptly.

2. “Wiseman” – “Wiseman” is a song that is only released on YouTube. It is also sampled in Drake’s newest album. This song depicts toxic masculinity throughout. Each listen it becomes more timeless. In Frank’s lyrics he explains the societal expectations of a man in this generation. I have this as my second choice because the message is very powerful and it flows very well.

1. “Pink Matter” – This song was an ode to a woman. Frank goes into this piece and sings about the respect that he holds for women. He has a beat change in this song that is impeccable. Frank hits all of the chords and notes in the song, while still bringing a relaxing and peaceful mood. This is my favorite song that he has ever released, because it is perfect for any mood and is influential each listen.