Corry cross country crosses the season finish line

On Saturday, October 28, the boys and girls cross country team went down to Titusville to go against all teams that are AA District 10 schools. Both the girls and boys XC team went 6-0 for the regular season, going undefeated in their region. The boys team finished fourth out of 18 teams at Districts, and the girls finished seventh out of 17 teams. The only two high school runners that made states are senior from the girls team was Haeleigh Bayle, who finished 12th with a personal best time of 20:10. From the boys team it was Fabian Fourspring who finished 16th with a personal best time of 17:00. Both of them are heading down to states in Hershey on Saturday, November 4.

Coach Kelly was asked various questions on how he thinks the season went.

Kelly said, “Overall, I am really happy with how the season went for both our boys and girls teams. The boys won their first region title ever and the girls won their 4th straight region title. We had six first team all-region runners, which was the most we have ever had: Jordan Fox, Haeleigh Bayle, Ariel Knapp, Fabian Fourspring, Tavon Kornikoski, Paxton Zinz. Ethan Behm also earned 2nd Team All-Region honors.”

When asked about how Districts went for the boys team he stated, “The boys team ran really well at the District meet. Fabian had a solid race and the next five boys all finished within 20 seconds of each other. We placed 4th behind the really good teams of Grove City, Fort LeBoeuf, and General McClane. I am really excited about the future for this team. Although we are losing Fabian and Tavon, we are bringing up Weston Atha from the middle school team and the strong group of freshman and sophomore runners will improve a lot if they train over the summer.”

Then, when asked about the girls team, Kelly said, “The girls team had a tough day at Districts. Although Haeleigh Bayle and Teryn Bailey both had their best races of the season, the rest of the team didn’t finish the season as well as we had hoped. Junior Jordan Fox has made states the last two seasons, but she unfortunately failed to qualify as she finished in 26th place. We were seeded third going into the meet, so a seventh place finish was definitely disappointing. The girls team has a bright future as well,though, as we are bringing up an insanely talented group from the middle school including Chloe Jaworski, Finley Fourspring, Makenna Williams, Laikynn Bayle, Zoey Higby, and Cora Bowen.”

The Cross Country team overall has four seniors who are leaving this year: from the boys team it is Tavon Kornikosi and Fabian Fourspring; from the girls team it is Haeleigh Bayle and Cameron Fox.