September is National Suicide Prevention Month

We wrap up another year of Suicide Prevention with hope and courage. What is Suicide Prevention month? It’s a time to raise awareness of suicide and spread the proper information about it. Suicide is a highly stigmatized topic and can be difficult for people to talk about. What we need to realize is this topic, whether it is September or not, should be talked about more often.

I can guarantee that everyone knows at least one person that has struggled with mental health. Even the “happiest people” can be hurting and choosing to keep these feelings to themselves, which can make it hard to see what they are going through.  Always, always check on your friends and family. Allow them to feel like you are a safe person to talk to. That small gesture can make the biggest difference.

This year the school put up posters in honor of Suicide Prevention Month. Some with motivational quotes and others are hand drawn by students.

In my opinion, I think the school could be doing a lot more. I do know that some students do not view the school as safe of place that they make themselves seem like. Instead of just hanging up posters in the halls, we should make it well known to the student body that it is Suicide Prevention Month. Announcing it on the morning announcements would be a good idea because almost every class watches them. They could mention the resources the school offers as well as help hotlines. There are many more ways to support Suicide Prevention Month, but these are some good starters.

One last thing, always listen to your students. Teachers and staff are mandated reporters but their guidelines don’t give students much room to speak about certain things. Sometimes thoughts are only intrusive and talking about them can lessen them, but if I am going to be reported just by talking about how I feel, then why would I? If you truly believe they are in danger, then yes, report them but there are moments when they have no intentions and would just like to speak out. Be a safe space for your students please.

I am someone who struggles, but I have pushed myself to get where I am now. It might not be the biggest difference, but I know that so much has changed for me. If these thoughts ever become too much for you, please know that you still have so much more to offer the world, so many more marks to leave with people.

Resources:

Erie County Crisis Line: (814)-456-2014

Suicide Hotline: 988

P.S. If you would feel more comfortable, you can always talk to me. My school email is [email protected] and I’ll give you my number to talk!