America needs gun control

Willow Bowen, Reporter

On May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas, 19 children and two educators were slaughtered by an 18-year-old carrying a firearm. These children were very young, only in elementary school. People across the country have had their hearts touched by this and have sent prayers to the families that have lost someone important to them.

Since we don’t have gun control in America, these families will now suffer every day of their lives because of it. Families won’t sleep, they won’t eat, and they won’t be able to love for what will probably be a very long time. 

Our government and our lawmakers of America continue to watch this cycle of horrific school shootings repeat over and over again. It is truly chilling to know that our federal government just sits and watches as all of these children and teens die across the country. It’s been happening since 1999 when the Columbine Massacre struck in Colorado. According to  ABC News, there have been 11 mass school shootings and many more acts of gun violence and threats in the past 20 years. 

People know that gun control works. Why is it even an argument that it should be applied instantly? Instead of acting now, Americans would rather just accept a harsh reality where people go to get their education and they die, they go to the store to buy groceries and they die, they go to teach their students and they die. This country needs to get up and do something about it. It’s so frustrating that this is what it took to create any kind of gun law. Honestly really heartbreaking alone to know that these 18 children and 3 adults had to die just to make a change, if change even happens. Would anyone even be surprised if this crisis was left on that back burner like it has been for the past two decades?

According the 1996 National Firearm Agreement in Australia, after Australia banned several firearms, there was an extreme drop in suicides, homicides, and mass shootings. There has not been a mass shooting in Australia since 1996, and unlike America, Australia took action and made changes the minute it happened instead of just sitting around. It’s blatantly clear that the American society prioritizes their guns over children.  

It’s so tiring and truly frightening to walk into school anymore. Personally, I have extreme paranoia knowing that it could happen to my friends, family, and me at any moment and I would have absolutely no control over it. I would like to ask people that don’t agree with gun control: What if that was your child, your niece or nephew? Would that change your opinion, or are you truly just too vicious to care about anyone but yourself? How many more people have to die. Let’s make change instead of reliving this nightmare every day. Let’s protect our educators and children of America.