“Adventures in Babysitting” is definitely a trip

Ruthie Light, Reporter

“Adventures in Babysitting,” a film released on June 19, 1987, staring Elisabeth Shue, Maia Brewton, Anthony Repp and Keith Coogan tells the story of a senior in high school, Kris Parker (Elisabeth Shue), who is stuck babysitting the Anderson kids, Sarah (Maia Brewton) and Brad (Keith Coogan), when her and her boyfriend’s anniversary plans get unexpectedly canceled. As the three are hanging out in the Andersons’ living room, Kris receives a phone call from her best friend, Brenda (Penelope Ann Miller), that flips the whole night around. On the phone, Brenda begs Kris to come pick her up in the city after running away from home. The kids, along with Darryl (Anthony Repp), Brad’s best friend, convince Kris to take them with her into the city where they find themselves in extremely frightening situations. Will Kris be able to pick up Brenda in time? Will the kids get home safely before their parents come home? Watch the movie to find out!

The film was written by David Simkins and directed by Chris Columbus. As a matter of fact, “Adventures in Babysitting” was the first screenplay David Simkins ever produced. Chris Columbus, however, is notoriously known for also directing the well-known film “Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lighting Thief” and many more. This film is rated PG-13 because of the fact that it does use some vulgar language and suggestive jokes. 

The film “Adventures in Babysitting” is extremely timeless and is definitely worth the watch. I have seen this movie many, many times and truly, I do not think I could ever get tired of it. From the amazing acting all the way down to the action-packed scenes, this movie doesn’t have one thing I do not like. It is very interesting to see all that the crew has to face to overcome their challenges and save Brenda. The acting by Elisabeth Shue, Maia Brewton, Anthony Repp and Keith Coogan was all spectacular and they all did amazing jobs portraying all of the emotions that they would have gone through, given if this was a real situation. Elisabeth Shue and the way she brought the character, Kris Parker, to life really stuck out to me the most. She does a fantastic job of portraying how fearful, yet brave, Kris is while facing constant changes in her life throughout the film. Disney has remade this film as of 2016, but that one is absolutely not, and will never be, as entertaining and impacting as the original.

Overall, I would rate this movie 5/5 stars. I recommend this film for any action-lovers out there that are over 13 years old, or anyone who just simply loves the nostalgia of a classic 80s movie. I definitely enjoyed watching this movie and I hope all of you choose to watch it as well.