Shining a light on Career Technical Education in February

Jenna Martin, Reporter

The month of February is a month for several celebrations, including Career Technical Education (CTE). This month is dedicated to celebrating the values of CTE and the achievements and accomplishments of CTE programs across the United States. This celebration was founded in 1926, by Calvin Coolidge when he was president and ten years after the federal government finally began funding the “vocational education” through the Smith Hughes Act.

What is Career Technical Education? Career Technical Education, also known as CTE, is something that provides students of all ages with the academic and technical skills, along with knowledge and training necessary to succeed in any future careers they may enter in. In total, approximately 12.5 million high school and college students are enrolled in several jobs in the CTE field.

Some of the programs offered in the CTE program at Corry High School include: cosmetology, welding technology, building property maintenance, precision machining, early childhood, automotive technology, and health care.

The Career Technical Education field consists of several jobs. Some of those being: teacher at a junior or community college, teacher at a technical or vocational school,  a high school teacher, and a professional development trainer.  These jobs make around 60, 000 dollars per year, which  is above the national median. This allows those who followed the CTE pathway to have a stable income. This being why we should give the celebration more recognition for all the opportunities the program has brought to the citizens whom have the chance to take part in it.