Lady Beavers secure spot in D-10 championships

MaKenna Moore, Reporter

Corry’s Lady Beavers volleyball team headed off to Meadville Wednesday night to go against the Sharpsville Lady Blue Devils. Both teams were ready to battle it out to see who would play in the D-10 girls volleyball championship game this Saturday, November 6, and take home the coveted title. The Lady Beavers came in with a count of 8-2 , and the Sharpsville Devils had a count of 10-0. What an impressive season for both teams, but only one team came out on top.

What an exciting turn out for the Lady Beavers: It was a nail bitter with an amazing outcome. The Sharpsville Devils came out swinging and had Corry on the ropes early in the first set. Sharpsville senior setter Lauren Kos, number 17, had major dumps, and throws to the deep corners, and Corry had a hard time receiving. Senior middle hitter Cady Benedict, number 3,  had several deep corner kills. Both teams fought it out, but the Devils defense got the better of Corry in the first set.

In the second set the Corry Beavers rallied with great plays by both outside hitters Pierson and Brady, who had tricky plays down the line and hard swings cross court, rattling Sharpsville. Helping to lead the Beavers to victory, Maggie Dow (senior, middle hitter), and Aubrey Vanderhoof (freshman, middle hitter), had some tips and strong swings between the big blocks. Kiran Bugbee, who ran the show as setter, went strong the whole game moving around the court and got her hand on many of the challenging passes.

The Beavers ended up eliminating the Devils  22-25, 28-26, 25-17, 25-20. The Lady Beavers took home the victory, and are now going to be competing against the undefeated Harborcreek Huskies this Saturday for the D-10  title.