Exposing stereotypes about feminism

Exposing stereotypes about feminism

Reagan White, Reporter

Being a feminist is deemed as a bad or “cringy” thing. While people may support the values of a feminist, they refuse to consider themselves one. It is important that we all work toward everyone getting interested in feminism and completely get rid of these stereotypes.

1. Feel-Good Feminism: Everyone likes to think that being a feminist means you are anti-men, anti-sex, anti-sexism, anti-everything; but that is not the case. The whole idea is to be progressive and fix society to include everyone: men, women, non-gender conforming people, gay, straight, transgender, black, Asian, white, and many, many more.
  2. But Feminists Are Ugly!: Why is it such a common thing to identify feminists with “ugly” women? Absolutely anyone can be a feminist. It is encouraged that they are. The term “ugly” is used to keep women and their interests at bay and from pursuing their agenda. Being called ugly is the worst thing you can do to a person. It sticks with you for life. That is why it is commonly used.
  3. But Things Are Fine The Way They Are!: They may be for you, but what about us? It is a struggle to have to fight for what we want or even our necessities. Some women cannot even afford menstruation products– that is most certainly not fine.

These are only a small portion of the many stereotypes used to “kill” feminism. The students of our school, not just the girls, should understand feminism and diminish these harsh viewpoints. Do your research and start getting involved. Our future relies on your help. A good starting point is the book “Full Frontal Feminism” by Jessica Valenti, where many of these concepts are discussed in greater detail.