Corry track and field athletes shine in Shippensburg

Skylar Riedel and Hannah Smrcka

Haeleigh Bayle, Reporter

Recently, three Corry High athletes on the track and field team qualified to compete at the states meet in Shippensburg, PA. The meet was held on Friday, May 28. The three accomplished athletes were: Hannah Smrcka (senior), Skylar Riedel (junior), and Xavier Reyda (junior). These three put in many long hours and loads of hard work to be able to represent Corry High in such an important and gratifying meet.

Hannah Smrcka qualified at districts to run in the 1600 meter race (1 mile) at states. She qualified at districts with a 5:16 — an automatic ride to the state meet. Hannah said she felt “healthy” and “pretty okay” while competing at Shippensburg. She wishes she could have gotten out a bit faster in the first two laps, though. Thankfully, Hannah noted that the storms held off until right after she ran. She mentioned how the weather was a little windy, however it wasn’t too cold, but it also wasn’t warm. Her hard work and countless hours of running and training paid off, and she was able to run a 5:17 mile, finishing in twelfth. It will be sad to see Hannah graduate from the team, as she is such a great team member and person, but we know she will do amazing things at Seton Hill where she is continuing her running pathway.

Skylar Riedel also competed down at the state meet. Her event was the triple jump. With a jump of 33-11.75 (33 feet and 11.75 inches) she was able to place seventeenth. Skylar qualified at districts to make it to states with a jump of 35-6, her personal best. Placing seventeenth at a state meet is definitely a major accomplishment and it is great to see Corry able to represent at such an important meet. Good job to Skylar and her accomplishments! And Corry can’t wait to see how she does during her senior season next year.

Xavier Reyda was the third athlete who competed down in Shippensburg. The week before, he threw a 151 even in the discus. At the state meet he threw a 130-8.9. He was able to place fourteenth in his event of the discus. Corry also congratulates Xavier and his many accomplishments throughout this season! And the town is excited to see how he will finish out his high school career next year.

Girls head coach, Coach Kelly, expressed his admiration and pride with how the athletes competed by saying: “Hannah capped off a phenomenal high school career with a twelfth place finish at the state meet in the 1600 meter run.  She has been a joy to coach and will instantly impact the cross country and track programs at Seton Hill University in the fall.  We will miss her work ethic, positive attitude, and leadership skills.”

Coach Kelly continued on when mentioning Skylar Riedel, saying, “Skylar had an awesome season.  She set personal best marks in both the long jump and the triple jump.  Her 33-11.75 ft. jump at the PIAA state meet was a really solid outcome.  More importantly, I think the experience of being at the state meet will prove vital in her future successes.  She will work hard in the off-season and be even better during her senior year!”

Regarding Xavier Reyda he said, “Xavier had an amazing throw at the district meet to qualify for states.  Although he didn’t throw as far at states, his mark of 138-4 was still good enough for a fourteenth place finish.  He is extremely talented and should easily be able to get back to the state meet as a senior if he commits over the off-season.”

Overall, being able to see three Corry students compete at the states meet and place very well is something that will be remembered. Through their dedication and immense amount of discipline, patience, and hard work, they were able to show their skills down in Shippensburg.