Time flies with “Anything Goes”

Time flies with Anything Goes

Rachael Hajec, Editor

In May of 2019 our high school put on the musical “Anything Goes.” Since it was a couple years ago (pre-covid times) rehearsing, singing, dancing, auditioning, and preparing for a show looked a lot different. It was my sophomore year of high school and I was getting ready for my audition. The previous year we performed “The Little Mermaid,” and I was cast as one of the sisters of Ariel, so this year I was hoping to get another good part! After my audition was over I was a little sad, but yet still very excited, to be a main dancer in most of the musical numbers!

“Anything Goes” is based upon the thrilling lives of people on a ship going from New York to London. Hope Harcourt is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh, but she realizes she is truly in love with Billy Crocker as Reno Sweeney and “Moonface” Martin help him to win her over. While everyone prepared their lines and songs, the most exciting part for me was learning all of the dance routines. Since it was my first year with a built-in set (that looked exactly like a boat deck) and having lots of props and new events, it was very easy to have positive energy and be ready to rehearse with people who were committed to their parts. Also, when working with that same group of people continuously for a few months who all share similar musical interests, it is nice and easy to create strong bonds that will last a long time.

Overall, the highlight of the whole experience was getting to tap dance during the actual song “Anything Goes.” Since it was my first time ever tap dancing, I now can say I have the experience, and tap shoes, to use in any/all of my future productions. As I wore fancy dresses and sailor costumes while even putting on robes to act as if we were a backup choir, this show will definitely remain in the top five favorite shows I have ever been in. With all of the catchy and relatable songs, plus funny jokes and scenes (on and off stage), this show is one I highly recommend to watch since it will always be unforgettable to me.