More changes for middle-high school students

Hannah Chelton, Reporter

High school students at Corry have been on a seemingly ever-changing schedule for how their education is delivered to them if they decide to attend in person. At the beginning of the academic year, school was able to stay open for in-person learning for the first nine weeks. Then at the beginning of November, the decision was made for high school students to start remote learning due to the rising number of positive cases within the district. It was considered at the beginning of December to start allowing students to attend in person. Unfortunately, after much consideration, the administration decided to hold off even longer.

Most recently, at the beginning of January, news was delivered that starting January 19, the district was planning to have high school students return to school on a hybrid schedule. This approach allows half of the students at a time to attend in-person learning while the others are at home on the days they are not scheduled to be on campus. As the week of January 19 came and went, students began attending school in person and things seemed to be going well, with the positive case numbers staying relatively low.

However, within the last seventy-two hours, plans have changed drastically. There was a steady increase of cases, and the school decided it was best that in-person learning for the high school was put off until Thursday January 28. On the evening of Tuesday, January 26, the school delivered the news that there was a substantial amount of positive cases, and there is an extended closure that will last until February 8. As of right now it is tentative that the school will re-open on February 9.

In the letter released to the community last evening, Superintendent Sheri Yetzer and Pandemic Coordinator Andrew Passenger stressed knowing the importance of students attending school for face-to-face instruction. However, “we cannot ignore the enormity of the situation pertaining to the increase of cases within our school community.”