“High School Musical 3” ends the series on a high note

High School Musical 3 ends the series on a high note

Rachael Hajec, Editor

“High School Musical 3: Senior Year,” chronicles the Wildcats’ last year at East High (although they never made a movie about their junior year just the summer after, but fast forward). All the Wildcats come together to live through their last good and bad moments, sing and dance their hearts out, create memories that last a lifetime, and finally graduate together. As each student decides what they want to do after high school, you are able to see all kinds of twists and turns with some memorable and heartwarming discoveries to enjoy with them. After reviewing the first two movies as well, I will clearly explain and emphasize why this High School Musical was my favorite out of all three, and why I encourage you to watch it and come up with your own opinion.

It all starts off with Troy and Chad on the East High Wildcat Basketball Team competing in their last championship game ever against their ultimate rivals. After winning their game, they all start to reflect on the memories that they can never relive, and wonder what could they possibly do after graduation. The next day at school, Sharpay requests that this year’s musical be a one woman show (with her as the lead, of course); however, musician Kelsi decides to mention a musical that they all can do together and make their own. As the production of  “Senior Year: The Musical” was born, the Wildcats all have to prepare for prom, graduation, and more importantly college, while putting on a musical about their lives and best memories at East High. While Troy and Gabriella are still together (and are the leads in this year’s musical), they are both torn between their future decisions, and how it will affect their relationship. As Troy ponders between choosing basketball or theater, Gabriella decides to attend Stanford University with early admissions…a thousand miles away…before the musical, before prom, and before graduation. Will Troy and Gabriella last? What will they possibly do about the musical? Are all the Wildcats going to know what to do after graduation? Will Troy choose basketball, theater, or maybe even…Gabriella?! Watch to find out!

As Kenny Ortega succeeds yet again with the third, and final, High School Musical, all the original actors from the previous movies return, which includes: Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, Monique Coleman, and so many more. For most of these actors, this was their first big production if referencing the first ever High School Musical from 2006. While spending several years getting to know each other, and their own characters on and off screen, I believe each one of them has developed and perfected their performance in one way or another. More specifically, as Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens were together in real life and on screen, their chemistry and musical talents really shined at the end of this outstanding trilogy. Also, while Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel are not brother and sister in real life, they created the perfect sibling duo.

With so many twist and turns, new music and dance numbers, and important topics being discussed, I believe the overall lesson is to do what makes you happy and never give up. As a senior myself, deciding where you want to go to college, or even just what you want to do with your life in general, can be very scary and overwhelming; however, no one can understand or decide what will make you happy but you. Live life in the moment, appreciate the good and bad times, cherish the memories and friends you made, let music motivate you, and don’t rush it.

I recommend this PG-13 movie/musical to any fellow seniors (or any students who are in high school) who are looking for inspiration for some of their future decisions or just want to listen to some good music and go on an emotional roller coaster ride. If that’s you, then go stream this 5 out of 5 star movie on Disney Plus if you have it, or buy the DVD (it’s worth it)!