Top ten things to reference in conversation without context

Hannah Smrcka, Editor

Everyone knows a small bit of any fandom, book, movie, or media that has a random reference that is just completely quotable without any reason or rhyme. Here are my top ten random reference-type quotes:

10. “I’m just chillin’… in the– Cedar Rapids.”– a very quotable vine by Hillary Clinton

This one is perfectly awkward enough to lighten the mood of most situations.

9. “Except when it’s not.”– ‘How to Read Literature Like a Professor’ T. C. Foster

My friend Dustin and I quote this one almost daily.

8. “Can the Feng Shui Club please stop rearranging the tables on the lawn.”– The Princess Diaries

7. “I have the high ground.”– Obi Wan, “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith”

This one is fun to use. Especially when you’re winning an argument.

6. “Do you think the store… do you think the store… do you think the store has any lemonade?” –  ‘The Duck Song”

This one is fun to use to annoy others. Fair Warning, though: parents don’t appreciate this quote if they know you don’t like lemonade. They’ll just get confused and irritated.

5. Ask everyone where “the ducks go in the winter.”– “The Catcher in the Rye”

There’s always a quote from a book that makes you want to facepalm because the author won’t stop bringing it up. Whether the quote has deeper meaning or not; when you assume they don’t have deeper meaning behind the text, there are some quotes that are simply hilarious to randomly throw out in a boring conversation.

4. “And they were roommates.”– a classic vine by:’@mattsukkar’

My friend Alexa and I quote this one a lot, and it is referenced a ton in meme culture on Tumblr, TikTok, Instagram, etc.

3. “Have you guys ever had shawarma?”– Iron Man, Marvel’s “The Avengers”

I throw this one into conversation whenever I am with my brother who enjoys the Marvel movies just as much as myself.

2. “And what excellent boiled potatoes. It’s been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.” — Mr. Collins, “Pride and Prejudice,” Jane Austen.

I quote this every time we have any type of potatoes, even french fries, during a meal. It will typically get you at least two eye-rolls.

1.  “The world might be full of despair and broken promises, but it is also full of brightly colored, poisonous frogs.” @that’sbelievable on Tumblr